Latest News

Monday, August 29, 2005

Two Cents

All over the blogosphere debates are raging about the war in Iraq, right vs. left, blue vs. red, etc, etc. I’m no expert or analyst I’m just an average citizen with an opinion. Here it is.

On terrorism and Iraq...

Why is this argument still marched out in defense of this war?? This war has nothing to do with terrorism. This war was started under false pretenses, i.e. WMD. It was only after not finding any did the focus shift to terrorism and finally spreading democracy became the main focus.

That is what angers me about this war. When the reason we went to war turned out to be non-existent...like everyone except The White House had been saying all along...what’s the next move? Play the terrorism card...then play the spreading freedom and democracy card. Iraq is not the only country in the world that is not a democracy. Oh yeah...those other countries don't have any wealth or natural resources we can exploit.

On everything else...

Yes you can disagree with the government and still love your country. Isn't that the point of democracy anyway...not this "new" freedom of speech in which you are free to say anything as long as it supports the current administration. I am so sick and tired of the “America: Love or Leave It” attitude. Whatever happened to America: The Great Melting Pot, or Land of the Free and Home of the Brave? It’s easy to stay silent. It takes bravery to speak out.

The most upsetting thing is how divided we’ve become. There seems to be no middle ground on any issue. No one is willing to listen to any other point of view. I’m not pointing fingers, right, left, Democrat, Republican, liberal, conservative, it doesn’t matter. There is no discussion it is either one way or the other.

How far does the pendulum have to swing before it comes back towards the center? I came across a great quote the other day:

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag, carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Admittedly "fascism" is a harsh word...but think about what is going on. Just today I saw on the news that a group I've mentioned before has now shifted their focus from cable TV to Starbucks. Apparantly cable TV isn't the downfall of America as originally thought. It's Starbucks, specifically one quote by one author that was used as part their "The Way I See It" series printed on their paper cups. I'm no huge fan of Starbucks but come on!

I’m tired of all the arguing. I’m tired of all the self-righteousness. I’m tired of this “Stepford” mentality to blindly follow the leader and don’t ask any questions. I’m tired of people being held up as moral beacons because of their job title instead of their deeds. I'm tired of the people that have had all the rights and all the power in this country for centuries are now screaming from the roof tops about how "marginalized" they've become. I’m tired of terms like “moral majority” and "liberal media".

I’m so tired I’d love to take nap but am afraid of what I’ll wake up to.

3 comments:

The Accidental Housekeeper said...

Excellent. I see you got the smart half of our brain.

The Accidental Housekeeper said...

Oh, and love the new title, you big fargy mo.

Moveelvr said...

Thanks...I thought Moveelvr was kinda boring